Georginio Wijnaldum’s header secured a point for Liverpool as they played out a pulsating 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Anfield on Tuesday evening.
The Dutchman nodded in a fully deserved equaliser in the moments following half-time for the Reds after they’d fallen behind to a long-range David Luiz free-kick in the opening 45.
In an intense encounter on Merseyside, the home side applied heavy pressure as they pushed for a winner; however, Chelsea could have clinched it themselves when they were awarded a late penalty, only for Simon Mignolet to save Diego Costa’s effort.
The key points…
- Luiz’s free-kick on 25 minutes broke deadlock against run of play after strong Reds start.
- Firmino spurned opportunity for leveller just after half-time, shooting over when well placed.
- Wijnaldum header draws Reds level on 57 minutes from Milner knock-back.
- Mignolet saved Costa’s penalty in final stages after Matip foul.
- Mane returned to Reds action as second-half substitute after AFCON duty.
The team news…
Nathaniel Clyne was deemed fit enough to start after his recent abdominal/rib injury as Jürgen Klopp made nine changes from the side deployed against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, with a host of senior stars returning to the fold.
Meanwhile, Sadio Mane was named among the substitutes after his return from Africa Cup of Nations duty with Senegal on Monday night.